This post will be much shorter. In fact, it is a couple of links to articles about a story. The first on BusinessWeek.com, the next on Reason.com. Two pretty short articles you can read quickly.
The reason for the post? Do you think this is acceptable corporate behavior? Scott Rodrigues was fired for testing positive for nicotine, in violation of a policy he agreed to when hired. Now, let us forget that nicotine itself is not dangerous but the way of ingesting it typically is, and just think about the health aspects. Should a company be allowed to hire and fire because of health care costs?
I see no problem with this. It is no different than not hiring someone because they have piercings all over their visage or visible tattoos. If it is in conflict with the image of your private company, why should you have to hire that person? Also, if it makes running your company more difficult or expensive fire the fatty! Theft is a terminable offense in the workplace - and eating yourself to death is essentially stealing money from your healthier co-workers. I like it!
Rodrigues lost his case in US District Court on essentially a technicality.
Also, this was a perfect case of 'headline does not give you an accurate idea of the story.' When I read the headline I was amazed that someone could be fired for testing positive for nicotine - or that a company tested for it. Indeed, if my company tested me for it today I would be upset because they did not lay down the law from the outset.
This is the kind of reform that would actually change the health care system. One payer, multiple payers, public or private - it will not matter if we are still a bunch of junk food eating, smoking, sedentary slobs. Forcing people to be accountable, and pay more for their bad habits, seems to make the best sense in a free economy. Why should Ethan and I pay more for health care because Dan and Ian like to hork down chili cheesedogs for breakfast?*
*names used for illustration only and any resemblance to actual persons or places is purely intentional.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Chili & Cheese, Chili & Cheese!!!
Here is my main complaint thus far with health care reform.
flag@whitehouse.gov
This is the place to snitch on e-mails, websites and casual conversations that may involve "mis-information" regarding health care reform.
1984 anyone?
By-the-by, I've reported all of you to supreme leader Obama, enjoy.
Post a Comment