As generally happens when looking for new work, I am having an existential crisis. You see, I don't get a lot of things about the way the world is right now. For instance, why don't we drive on driveways and park on parkways (just kidding).
My problems lie in the working world. And the root of it is this: If the world is basically a construct that we all in a society decide to believe in, why is it so hard to change things? I work, yet again, in a field where it would be mind-numbingly easy to work from home: it's a tiny company, and I end up barely speaking to anyone during the day anyway. Yet, it's against company policy to work from home on a consistent basis. To which I tend to respond: why why why?!?! causing tension and annoyance in the office.
Most of the people I know are generally miserable about some aspect of their job, from the peons that serve fast food, to big timey executives. So why do we keep doing it? Surely the economy wouldn't fall apart if we gave people some leeway for certain things, right? It's as if we believe there is some uber-boss sitting in the sky, just waiting for us to mess up, to work 9-2 instead of 8-5 (because, let's be honest, not many people really need to work for 8 hours a day).
We created all this - the working day, the internet to keep us company while we are bored out of our skulls, and (gasp) we created cubicles too. So I ask again, if we created all this, why can't we disestablish it when it no longer suits us?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree on the idea of teleworking, and as an employee of the State of Maryland am able to do so. While it does have it's advantages, it can also be counter-productive as it takes a strong-willed employee to stay focused on the task at hand. It is also lonely and boring as well. The plus side of things are that is very cost effective from a company standpoint, and you can set your own hours. So if you feel like working at 8pm instead of 8am, so be it. The country is starting to accept this as common to cuts costs, and allowing employees to work flex schedules and tele-working as alternatives to the "old" school 40 or more hour work week. Let your boss know of the plus side and leave out the part about productivity.
Post a Comment