Thursday, June 26, 2008

Parliamentary Procedures

I thought I would just start a new post for all future rulings on proper procedures. Any future procedure updates, comments or suggestions can be added to this for a central location. I will be deleting the post containing the other stuff to consolidate.

To address Ian's concern about posting to old topics. I think it is best that if you cannot post a timely reply to a topic then your window has passed. Much like if this were a live Junto and you were unable to attend you cannot participate in that conversation. Perhaps this is a bit strict, but going back to old topics might make for scattered thoughts and stifled intellectual progress. This may come across as unfair, but this is not the Digital Pantie Waste club. This is a Junto with all the badass-ness implied therein.

However, if a discussion continues to rage on and will not go gentle into that good night the next post will be postponed. I think that only fair. It seems our first couple of posts have worn out their welcome so Ethan will be posting in a week or so his subject I believe. Again, there is no set in stone schedule, so if he needs a little more time he is welcome to take it. Jenny will have the microphone after that.

Also, a bit of clarification on the nature of subject starters. Since our discussions can range from political to scientific to philosophic to religious, the level of documentary support for an initial subject will necessarily vary. I do not want anyone to think that in order to get a conversation going they have to have copious footnotes and reference materials. I do think it only proper if the subject is specific and not common knowledge. I would not expect all of you to have read as much on String Theory as me so I would suggest something for a primer. Ethan has done as much and I am sure it will move the conversation along all the better. If, however, you are going to make a certain claim in a subject please note whether it is opinion or researched fact/theory. If I say String Theory is bunk I would expect you to want to see some support for said position.

I think that is all for now. Cheerio. Top o' the morning. A bientot.

No comments: