Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Junto Mission

Welcome to all that wish to exchange ideas in a welcoming environment. I envision this to be a truly participatory discussion group. I will post our first discussion in the next few days but after that, we shall have a rotating schedule of 'opening arguments,' to use an wholly inappropriate phrase. There will, in fact, be no arguing. I do not imagine any of us so arrogant as to believe our position is right (myself excluded). Nor do I think we want to stifle discussion by shutting someone down. On this point, I present the excerpt from Benjamin Franklin's autobiography introducing the idea of the Junto:

I should have mentioned before, that, in the autumn of the preceding year, [1727] I had formed most of my ingenious acquaintance into a club of mutual improvement, which we called the JUNTO; we met on Friday evenings. The rules that I drew up required that every member, in his turn, should produce one or more queries on any point of Morals, Politics, or Natural Philosophy [physics], to be discuss'd by the company; and once in three months produce and read an essay of his own writing, on any subject he pleased. Our debates were to be under the direction of a president, and to be conducted in the sincere spirit of inquiry after truth, without fondness for dispute or desire of victory; and to prevent warmth, all expressions of positive opinions, or direct contradiction, were after some time made contraband, and prohibited under small pecuniary penalties.

I will add that I do expect a certain amount of research to go into the opening arguments. With at least six of us, the count as of today, committed to this exercise I think that is a reasonable expectation. When it is your turn to present a subject, upon which there will be no limitations, come out with a well reasoned and supported statement. There will be no limit on size, nor any requirement to engage in all discussions. Responses will be likewise well reasoned and supported. I do look forward to finding out what our 'pecuniary penalties' will turn out to be for breeches of the peace. I will also stress that a position taken in an opening argument may well be that of devil's advocacy, so much more so to keep an open mind and not judge any post.

Upon the posting of each opening argument, replies to that post will serve as the discussion. Do not begin a new post until it is your turn to open a subject. Do try your best to stay on topic and not bring in too many tangential arguments. At the same time, the author of each opener will play a part in responding to make sure the integrity of the discussion is maintained. How this will work, I am not sure at this point. We will work it out as we go along. I am sure the edges will be rough at first. If you choose not to participate in any given subject, for whatever reason, I would suggest a post of 'abstain' so as not to hold up discussion if we are waiting for all entries.

I will take the role of president, but contrary to the style of our current President, I am not the great decider and will do my best not to project my personal feelings into any decision. My only goal will be to maintain the direction and mission of the Junto - free and unfettered discussion.

I welcome any and all outside the initial six to join in this blog. I look forward to what should be an exciting undertaking.

3 comments:

mrheathen said...

I am excited to hear the first topic, which I imagine should come from our president, Gaius Julius Jackhole. Anyone have any recommendations?

I think questions on policy and governance should definitely be fair game, but I would recommend leaving the current election out of it (given who I imagine will be part of this Junto, most of you feel left out of the current election anyway).
Ethan

Anonymous said...

I'm excited too! Let's post something already!

Anonymous said...

Someone get this party started!